Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Fibromyalgia

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia on August 22, 2014. I have had pain for a long time, but I thought that was normal to feel horrible everyday. I thought it was an age thing. HA. Fibromyalgia - It's a pain in the..well, everything. Fibromyalgia affects 2-4% of the population, mostly woman.

I was treated for a kidney infection and UTI, but even after my labs all came back normal, I still had all these intense symptoms and pains. Even my CT scan came back normal. I was thankful, but it did not explain my daily pain and discomfort.

I have chronic neck, shoulder and back pain. I have hypothyroidism. I have tender points found in the soft tissue on the back of my neck, shoulders, chest, lower back, hips and knees. The pain spreads out from these areas at times. The pain feels like a deep ache, or a shooting, stabbing, burning pain. I wake up with body aches and stiffness. I sometimes have memory and concentration problems. I am dizzy . I suffer with unexplained weight gain - eat like a bird but look like a hippo. I have severe anxiety. Pain gets worse with activity, cold or damp weather, anxiety and stress.  I have sleep disturbances and I never feel fully rested. I was treated for an infection, although none was identified.

I have Fibromyalgia. That doesn't mean I don't take care of myself, refuse to exercise, make up symptoms or whine a lot. It does mean that I am an overachiever, I push myself constantly and really don't want to live this way, but I have no choice. I am not Fibromyalgia. I am what kicks butt every morning when I get out of bed!





0 comments: