Thursday, April 11, 2013

Things to be grateful for

I am having one of those days where I am glum. So I am making a list of things I am grateful for to turn this negative mood around. We all need pep talks, right? Hey - life is fabulous! No need to be glum chum.



1. My husband & son


2. Prayers


3. Friends


4. Deodorant, perfume, and soap. Yeah, you know what I mean! You’ve smelled the unpleasantness of those without such niceties and have probably been smelled by others when you went without. Life is simply better when we see our friends coming long before smelling them. Also, I have stood and sat by people for whom soap effectively did not exist. Deodorant only goes so far at masking other people’s stench, after all. I’m deeply grateful for it.


5. Toothpaste. By the time the Founding Fathers of the U.S. were in their 70s and 80s (including Jefferson, Washington, Adams and Franklin), they were near or totally toothless. Enough said.


6. Facebook . . . because without it, you wouldn’t have visual proof that your friends are eating well


7. My fat clothes (cozy clothes.. ya know.. like sweats..It’s sexy. Just ask me.)


8. My address doesn’t contain the words “Gaza” or “Strip.”


9. Peace in the Middle East. Oops, spoke too soon


10. Toilet paper. Just imagine what it was like without it! What would it be like without it now? It’s a scary thought


11. Fingernails. Whether scratching an itch (your own or someone else’s), removing a splinter, picking at things, or scratching off the ridiculously-overly-sticky price tag from the bottom of new items you just bought, finger nails are just darn useful.


12. Pillows. Don’t they just make the whole sleeping experience that much sweeter?


13. Color. Question: What would the world be like in black and white? Answer: Booooring! – Visually, anyway. Color has been shown to change moods. It’s powerful and pleasing. It differentiates the seasons. It beautifies life


14. Laughter. It cures heavy hearts and tired minds and sick bodies. It is contagious and happiness-inducing. I recommend it. Lots of it.


15. Smiles. Ever have a baby look into your eyes and smile? It’s priceless. Smiles change moods – the smiler’s mood and the smilee’s.


16. Opposition. While I’m not much a fan of it in the moment, in perception, opposition has done great things for the human family.


17. Gratitude. Bet you haven’t thought of being thankful for the human capacity for thankfulness. Think about the ugliness of ungratefulness as a way to underscore the beauty of its opposite. I am indeed grateful for gratitude.


18. Batteries. Cars, cell phones, flashlights, kid toys of sorts (bad for parents, good for kids), garage door clickers, and anything else that makes life portable and needs electricity. Life is simply more convenient with batteries. I’m grateful for them


19. Hugs. A life without hugs would be a lonely life to me. I’m not a hugger per say. But even if I wasn't, there are lots of certain people (moms, dads, children, spouse) you just need to hug and need hugs from.


20. You. I’m grateful for people like you who visit my blog and read what I have to say. Cause what I have to say is always profound. ;)



0 comments: