Thursday, March 18, 2010

Week 7 & 8



Dreema,
I am a slacker! I haven't written in a while. Shayne so kindly mentioned that I needed to update this week. I am almost at week 8, so I am posting about week 7 and week 8 today.

The big news this week: Hands and feet are emerging from developing arms and legs — although they look more like paddles at this point than the tiny, pudgy extremities we are daydreaming about holding and tickling. Technically, our baby is still considered an embryo and has something of a small tail, which is an extension of "its" tailbone. The tail will disappear within a few weeks, but that's the only thing getting smaller. Our baby has doubled in size since last week and now measures half an inch long, about the size of a blueberry.




New this week: Webbed fingers and toes are poking out from our baby's hands and feet, its eyelids practically cover its eyes, breathing tubes extend from its throat to the branches of his developing lungs, and its "tail" is just about gone. In his brain, nerve cells are branching out to connect with one another, forming primitive neural pathways.We are anxious to know one sex or the other, but the external genitals still haven't developed enough to reveal whether we are having a boy or a girl. Either way, our baby — about the size of a raspberry — is constantly moving and shifting, though I still can't feel squat.

I am finally finding out what pregnancy sickness is all about. It is worse at night. It wakes me up about midnight, and is so bad I can't sleep again until 2:30. I can't seem to eat enough. I eat my normal portions, and an hour later my stomach acts like I haven't fed it at all.

However my friends (thank you btw!) suggested vitamin B6; WHAT A MIRACLE. And I have also been taking Unisom when I don't forget to take it to late.

Well there is the update on the fetus for the this week and next week.

Hope all is well! Tell Granddad hi, and give him hugs.

Love you!

ERIN

2 comments:

Adam and Rachel said...

How exciting!!!

miccolene said...

I know what you mean about being hungry. Jazz was astonished when I would out-eat him at dinner. Its like your stomach is bottomles! Hope you are feeling well.