We are so happy our little Skylar is finally here. She was born January 19, 2014 at 10:45 am. She was 7 pounds 2 ounces and 19 inches long. She decided to join our family 3 weeks early.
On Friday January 17th I was feeling very sick and just funky. My boss sent me home early that day because I didn't look right. I went home and just crashed. I was feeling worse on Saturday so I stayed in bed majority of the day.
We were supposed to have dinner with our good friends that night, so around 4:00 I went downstairs to start some breadsticks for our little dinner date. That is when I noticed the contractions. I managed to get the breadsticks done and then sat on the couch and timed the contractions. They were 3 minutes apart and were painful where they usually weren't painful. I let our friends know we had to rain check and sat home and monitored the contraction action.
Around 8:00 the pain moved to my back. I decided to walk around the kitchen and living room to see what happened. When it got too painful I laid in bed with Shayne & Kelly and watched a show. Finally around 10:00 I told Shayne we should probably go in and see if anything is progressing. Our wonderful friend Monique came over and stayed here with Kelly while we went.
We got to the hospital and went to labor and delivery on the second floor. We rang the bell and nobody answered. We decided to go find someone so we headed back downstairs. They called labor and delivery and sent us back up. We finally got checked in and put in a room. I was dilated to a 3 with contractions still 3 minutes apart. The nurse monitored me for another half hour and then checked me again. I was at a 3 1/2 so they admitted me. WOOT! I was so scared they were going to send me home.
We let Monique know I was admitted so she had her kids come sleep over with Kelly and Monique headed to the hospital. I got my epidural right away because of my situation I had with Kelly. While getting the epidural I had a lot of nerves getting hit so I jumped a lot. Right after I got it my blood pressure dropped dramatically so they had to balance my body out with different medications. Eventually we got situated and it was time to just wait. Monique and Shayne fell asleep and I laid there and labored. I kept hitting the button to get more pain medication but nothing was relieving the pain. After 5 hours I told my nurse. We found out the epidural was in my blood stream and wasn't doing anything, so we had to redo the entire epidural. Second time around was perfect and I could finally sleep. I was shocked because the contractions were very painful and at that point I was only dilated to a 4. What? Talk about a slow process.
I got to sleep for a few hours and then my doctor came in. He decided it was time to break my water and start some heavy Pitocin to speed this process up. They broke my water around 9:00 AM. Around 9:40 AM they started the heavy heavy Pitocin. It was SO weird because my legs were completely numb but I could feel all of the excruciating contractions. I got a booster and that helped take the edge off. I went from a 5 to a 10 in 30 minutes.
It was time to push. My doctor is amazing. Because I was still kind of numb he showed me how to push so my body could naturally help push her out. When she got closer to coming out she was face up and kept getting stuck so we had to use a vacuum type tool to help suck her out of the spot she was stuck on. After that we got her right out. I only had to push for 30 minutes.
She came out screaming. Woo wee this baby girl has a set of pipes on her. They put her on my chest right away as they cleaned her off. I was so weak and shaky I could barely hold her. That part scared me because I had no strength at all and my body was shaking so violently. I have never had that happen in my life! Yikes!
They finally picked her up to go weigh & measure her and to suck out her lungs more. The moment they laid her down Shayne started to talk to her. The second she heard Shayne's voice she stopped screaming, turned her head, and just looked at Shayne. That made me cry! It melted my heart.
Recovery has been much harder with her. The way I delivered bruised my entire lower back, butt, and tail bone, and my back is sore from getting 2 epidurals. My back is swollen but should go down in time. I did get cut because they had to use the vacuum, so the stitches are a little more intense this time. But all in all I am doing pretty dang good!
Skylar is an angel. She has quite the little temper on her and it makes us laugh. She does not like temperature changes, and she does not like to be moved a lot. Other than that she is very easy going and is wonderful. It is so weird to me that I have a little girl still, but I can't get enough of her.
Kelly has his ups and downs but has shocked us on how well he has been. At first he wasn't sure of her and wouldn't go near her. Now he helps with a lot of things and gives Skylar lots of kisses. He is such a great big brother.
This has been such a wild ride but we are so grateful. We have two amazing children and are blessed immensely.
Thursday, January 23, 2014
Skylar Monique Hiatt
Posted by The Hiatt's at 5:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










0 comments:
Post a Comment