Thursday, January 22, 2009

And oh to my stomach....


As shocking as it is, I went to a doctor! Yes, it is true. It turned out how I thought it would… but I still went! Let me back up.
3 months ago I got really under the weather. I had sharp pains jabbing through my abdomen. The pain was so tough it made me nauseous, light headed, and I couldn’t eat and when I did it came right back up most of the time. The spiky pain went away, but the nausea stayed. I had my second sharp pain attack a few weeks later… again… it stayed about a week, then left, leaving the nausea behind. No, I am not pregnant. That is what everything thought… but there is no bun in this oven! My next attack was a few days after Christmas. This time it made me dizzy, gave me fevers, and the ache traveled to my lower back. I finally arranged to see a doctor. Okay okay, I promised my Father in law I would go. 
When Shayne and I got to the doctor, they weighed me, and to my surprise I had lost 20 pounds in a month. The doctor examined me and said my symptoms could be a number of things. The doctor thinks that my stomach is not empting into my intestines, that’s why my food is coming back up. What to do? Suck out 8 tubes of blood out of my petite vein; thrust a garden hose with a camera down my throat and into my stomach (which is ruthless because after you wake up you are coughing up blood, burping like there is no tomorrow, and your throat KILLS!). Wha hoo! After the scope, I got to drink 2 bottles of oral contrast (dye) on an empty stomach. Then we rushed over for my CT scan. My poor veins… I had an IV for my scope, and then they shoved another one in for my CT scan. Those were put in right next to the veins they took my blood from.
After all my tests (the scope and CT scan) they found I have chronic gastritis (my complete stomach is still inflamed) and… that is about it. The doctor is concerned about the gastritis. He does not know what is causing it and why I have had it for so long. He did some biopsies, but we won’t know the results from the biopsies or the results from the CT scan for 3 more weeks. For now the doctors still have no idea what is wrong with me. But heck, it is always fun to chill at different hospitals. My entertainment was fabulous (thanks Dad and Shayne!).
I do want to thank everyone for your kind words, prayers, and the yummy dinner!
I will let you know what the doctor says once we go in for the rest of the results

9 comments:

Mary-Anne said...

Oh my gosh! That sounds terrible! I'm so sorry...no fun at all. :( I hope you get better soon!!

sTaCiE said...

Holy cow hun!! I am so sorry!! Thats horrible!! Call me the second you find out the results!! Please!! Love ya!

Nicole Marsh said...

That doesn't sound good. I hope that they are able to find out what is causing it! Get well soon.

esianoyam3 said...

(((HUGS))) sweetie. I hope they figure it out soon!

The Gray Fam said...

It's about time you went to the dr. I have been asking you to go forever. I am glad that you know what is going on though so you can work to get it taken care of!!! Let me know if you need anything hun!! Miss you!

Megan Kyle and Porter Cross said...

and why am i just finding out about this??? WTF (what the freak) dude!!! Keep me updated on these things! Prayers are with you man... seriously

Adam and Brynn said...

I am so sorry Erin!!!! :( I COMPLETELY sympathize with ya! I had gastritis in Highschool... NOT FUN!!!!!! It kills! I hope you get feelin' better! And SOON. :) love ya!

us said...

Oh my gosh!! Im sorry!! Hopefully they figure out whats going on... thats no fun!!

Emily and Russell Petty said...

Oh Erin! Those things you went through do not sound fun! I hope you get better! Keep us posted!