
Today I went to lunch with my girlfriend from work. I was starving and had not had a good quality breakfast so I tried to pace myself. It is hard to eat healthy when you go to a fast food place. I was not yearning for ‘hale and hearty food’ such as a baked potato or a Caesar salad. I knew that a chock-full meal would be too much to eat and bursting of bad calories, so I got just a petite fry, a tiny frosty, and 5 undersized chicken nuggets (which in my mentality is smaller then a hamburger, average drink and a medium fry).
After our meal, we sat there and chatted when I spotted that you could see the nutrition value of your meal online. As soon as I got back to work I hurriedly got online to look up my meal assuming that I did somewhat well. Ha! Silly me! I was revolted. This is amusing because I KNOW that fast food is NOT high-quality for you no matter WHAT you order. I mean there are some things healthier then others… but all in all… fast food is not good. I researched and the result: I had consumed 890 calories! All the feelings of me doing well fluttered out the window. My portions were petite, so in my mind I calculated that total it would be around 500 calories. I have never been so off beam.
I don’t know about anyone else, but eating healthy can be rough sometimes. Yes, it is uncomplicated to single out out healthy foods from the naughty foods. But for me… there are times I just want the wicked foods! Especially that time of the month… I desire salty, greasy fattening foods! Why is that? What is it in your body that makes you yearn for naughty food to the point where you can’t say no? Then after you eat the food crammed full of crap, you feel so icky. And the sad thing is.. I give in EVERY TIME. I need to get more strength.
I wish food options were the same as the pioneer days. They had no fast food and no preservatives. You worked hard to produce your food, churn your butter, hunt your meat, and set up the meat. And you got fine exercise doing all of that. I truly believe that as a society we have become lazy! There are so many plump people because it is so opportune to go grab a hamburger from Wendy’s, or it is cheaper to purchase a candy bar.
I for one am going to challenge myself to eat healthier. After seeing the calories I just consumed over lunch today how could I not want to eat better? I know that fast food is not good. But the realism of it does not sink in until you actually see what you put into your body. I am going to train myself to get into a good way of life so when I have children I can feed them appropriately and educate them how to eat healthy.
Monday, June 23, 2008
Fast food is no good! (well duh!)
Posted by The Hiatt's at 2:04 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I know how you feel! I want fast food junk all the time! What I recommend is going to www.calorieking.com and I compiled a list in just Microsoft Word of all the foods I like at Fast food places and restaurants. I did a good list and bad list and I keep it in my car and purse so that when I go out I can just quickly glance at let's say McDonald's and see what is good and what is naughty. Sometimes I do eat the naughty and then I try to make it up with a really healthy salad the next day :)
I hear ya! Fast food is sooo not worth it!! Another thing about eating healthy is that it is EXPENSIVE!! I try and eat between 1200-1400 calories a day and it can be so hard! When I get hungry I eat pickles because they are FREE food....free of calories!
I know!! It sucks...It's so hard to try and healthy on a budget too...healthy food is SO much more money than junk food or fast food! I try to eat healthy...but it's so hard because to eat NOT healthy is so much more convenient and CHEAPER!! I guess we really have to make a big effort...it's really hard sometimes though!
Post a Comment