Thursday, November 18, 2010

Need a schedule pa-lease


Any ideas on how to get a 3, almost 4 week old on a schedule? I try, and it goes well for 2 days, then it just goes to poop. Help?...

9 comments:

EA said...

Well, this is just my opinion so take it or leave it, but I think that you shouldn't get too hung up on a putting your kid on a schedule.
Infants have their own schedule for ten months while their incubating and then when they join the world it's easy to see why it would be difficult for them to change it for us.
I say... feed them when they're hungry, let them sleep when they're tired (for the most part because sometimes you have to wake them up to feed them if they're sleepers), etc.
Eventually he'll get to the point where he kind of automatically has his own little schedule and you'll recognize the pattern.
Again this is what works for us.
Good luck!
You're doing great. :)

Nichole said...

Is it the night time thing that he's not doing well? The first 3-6 months are the hardest and then things get better. Night times are no fun! Spencer's night schedule was WAY off for a while so we started keeping him awake as long as we could toward the end of the day (which wasn't much because babies sleep most of the time!). He started getting used to it and his schedule changed enough that I could get a few hours of sleep before he would wake up to eat and then go back to bed.

Another thing...advice from experienced mother's is AWESOME but a lot of the time I would stick with what you think will work. Take advice from a lot of people and decide what you want to try...if it doesn't work then move on to something else. BUT just know that the first 3-6 months can be REALLY hard and it's hard to get on a schedule!! It's a good thing we love our kids so much...it makes all the bad times SOO worth it!

Sara said...

Just "try" to do what you would normally do at a normal time and he will start to fall into the same routine.

Really I am sure you are doing great, things just go to poop with babies. Just how it is :)

Hang in there! You are an awesome mom!

Mary-Anne said...

I have no opinion on a schedule, but those pictures are adorable!! Good luck. :)

Heather said...

I would suggest reading Secrets of the Baby Whisperer and the Happiest Baby on the Block. I used a lot (not all) of the first books ideas and they helped a ton. I recently read the second one and wish I had done it when my baby was first born instead of 8 months old, it would have been MUCH more beneficial. And I agree with doing what you feel is right. Take the best of all the advice you get and do what works for you and your baby. Good luck! He is SO adorable!

Josh and Brittany said...

I have never been a big fan of getting on a schedule. I say feed him when he is hungry and let him sleep when he wants. My kids didnt fall into a routine until they were about 4 months old. You will start to see a pattern as he gets older but for now just relax and enjoy it!

Victoria Edwards said...

Erin,
You have the most Beautiful baby boy! Congrats!!

Emily and Russell Petty said...

Hey girl! I have heard that a baby should be able to sleep through the night at, I think 6 weeks.. Maybe give it a couple more weeks. I have heard good things about the book "Baby Wise".

Emily and Russell Petty said...

Hey girl! Your little man is so cute! I have heard that babies should be able to sleep through the night at, I think, 6 weeks old. Maybe give it a couple more weeks. Also, I have heard good things about the book "Baby Wise." You may want to try it. I haven't read it yet.