Friday, March 6, 2009

Hiatt's to the rescue!


For those of you who know Shayne and I very well, you know that we BOTH never allow help from others because we fight till we get things taken care of. Like a million others, Shayne and I have been struggling. Medical bills piling in on top of our other bills and we both were trying to figure out how to overpower it all one by one till it all disappears.
We found out that Shayne’s parents and his older brother and his family were going to be coming into town to see Shayne’s grandpa (I will need to fill you in on Grandpa later. He is not well). We absolutely LOVE having Shayne’s family in town, so we were so excited!
When they got here, they noticed our bare cupboards and our expired license plate on our only working vehicle. Last night Shayne’s Mom grabbed me and said, “Now don’t feel bad, but I am going to register your car as your birthday present. I want to help you guys out!” It made me feel so low, as I have always depended on myself to take care of anything that needed to be done. I instantaneously shook my head no. I said, “No, I can do it.” And she grabbed me and gave me a big hug, then looked me in the eyes and said, “You are just like me. Let me tell you something that I took a long time to learn. It is okay to let people help you in your times of need. People want to help, Erin. When you don’t let them help you are denying them of blessings. We are family. When all is said and done family is all you have. We are here to help each other out. We love you!” Yeah… I busted into tears and she started to cry too.
Later that night, my sister in law Susie came over and brought me some pills to ease my stomach, and gave me a back massage until I fell asleep. She is so loving and very giving. She puts herself last.
Today, Shayne and I get home, and low and behold our kitchen is jam-packed of food! All the cupboards, the pantry, and the refrigerator are FULL top to bottom. Shayne’s parents and his brother and sister in law split the cost and bought us a full kitchen of food to last weeks!!!! I asked if I could pay them back and Susie (my sister in law) said “Never.”
I am thankful for Shayne’s family. I love them so much. When someone is in need, they are there. Even though they are struggling, they give all they have. My family is not that way, so it is amazing to me to see everything that the Hiatt’s have done for us, and others. I love them so much. Shayne and I are still having a hard time accepting this, as I said we feel horrible and humiliated that we could not buy ourselves food or register our car. But they went and made sure we were taken care of. We didn’t ask them. In fact, they know that if they asked we both would have said NO! I have a testimony of families, service and unconditional love.





Bryant and Susie



7 comments:

Mary-Anne said...

That is nice. It sounds like you married into a wonderful family!! Don't feel bad AT ALL. My parents have helped us out SO SO SO much...there are months we definitely wouldn't have made it without their help...but I know we won't always be in this situation, and I someday plan on repaying them. :) Just be thankful that you have family that loves and cares about you guys so much and don't feel bad at ALL. Seriously. Everyone needs help at some point.

us said...

Thats awesome! Made me tear up! How sweet of your family.

Adam and Brynn said...

This is such a great post!! It made me tear up because we were SO blessed by the service of others when everything happened with the twins!! Service is awesome, especially when you experience it from both ends! :) love ya!

Megan Kyle and Porter Cross said...

I love this post. Kyle and I have been going thru the same thing with my hours at work being cut. My mother, bless her dear heart, did the same thing for us. It is so hard to accept help, but in times of need we have to suck up our pride and accept the helping hand. It is the lord sending us help in times of need. We pray for it and that is our answer. It is so hard but a great lesson in humility and something to keep you humble and willing to turn around and help someone else wherever you can :)Kyle and I have little but offer all we can.

Brian and Ashley said...

Oh man i love you guys and I miss Kelly and Lori like crazy! We do have one aweseome family! I am greatful for all that you guys do for us! You guys are amazing!

Susie Peterson said...

We really love you. I hope that you always know that.

Fancy Pants said...

I am crying so much! Love you guys tons!!